Racial Justice, Equity & Inclusion
Mary’s Magnificat calls upon the entire Magnificat High School Community to work for justice. In light of this call, Magnificat works to create an educational community grounded in racial justice, equity, and inclusion.
This summer, and during the 2020-2021 school year, Magnificat commits to furthering our efforts toward equity, inclusion, and racial justice by:
- Facilitating listening sessions this summer with members of our community to provide space to express reactions to the video recently circulated on social media, to share their Magnificat experiences, and to share ideas for co-creating a more equitable, just, and inclusive culture together.
- Creating an anti-racism task force with members of the Magnificat community as well as partner organizations.
- Hosting a community summit designed to deepen the integration of racial justice in the relationships, practices, and policies of our community.
Forming an affinity group for students who identify as Black or African American.
- Incorporating racial justice education into orientations for first year students and new faculty and staff.
- Denouncing incidents of hate and bias in our school, and providing support to the victims or targeted community of any bias incidents.
- Continuing to evaluate our disciplinary policies around hate and bias for greater transparency and to deepen our commitment to employing fair and equitable disciplinary practices and policies rooted in both accountability and transformation.
- Instituting restorative justice practices and training a cohort of leadership, faculty, and staff.
- Continuing to provide professional training for all faculty and staff around racial justice, equity, and inclusion.
Building an equity, inclusion, and racial justice programmatic calendar for the 2020-2021 school year.
Maintaining ongoing communications internally and externally regarding our efforts.