The Magnificat High School counseling program seeks to assist each student in meeting her individual needs as she strives to become a young woman who learns, leads and serves in the spirit of Mary’s Magnificat. Counselors not only provide counseling and guidance services to students, but also assist faculty and parents in any way possible in their roles as co-educators. The freshman program emphasizes high school orientation, test-taking skills, personal adjustment and the beginnings of the college process. Sophomore year each student continues to strengthen test-taking skills, takes the PSAT and OGT, as well as evaluates personal strengths in pursuing a comprehensive career development program through Naviance. The junior level classroom guidance program focuses on continued self-exploration, achieving success on the SAT, and ACT, and begins a more in depth looks at the college and career process. The senior program helps to guide students through the college application process and aims to provide students with skills necessary for a successful transition into college.
Summary of Services
- Assisting students with self-understanding
- Guiding students with the development of personal skills to promote success both in and outside of the classroom
- Providing individual and group counseling
- TAG, Teenage Grief: A group designed to meet the needs of students who have lost a loved one. We meet once a month inviting counselors from Holy Family Hospice to help in facilitating this special group
- Family Issues: A new group designed by our Psychology Assistant and Counselor to meet the needs of students who are dealing with all issues surrounding divorce
- Sullivan Scholars: This group is a mentoring group for the girls who are Sullivan Scholars to help support each other academically and emotionally as they move through a college prep curriculum.
- Identifying and addressing special student needs and concerns
- Academic advising and support
- Coordinating efforts with other specialists
- Develop rapport and contact with college representatives
- Aid in the selection of a rigorous curriculum to better prepare students for post-secondary education
- Guide students to explore possible majors and careers
- Provide information and access to a variety of schools
- Assist students and parents with school selection and transition into college
- Encourage students and parents to become successful in mastering the college selection process
- Providing accurate and essential financial aid and scholarship information
- Use of Naviance Succeed, My College Quickstart and Big Future for the Career and College Journey
- The Naviance system is web-based advising and storage system which is used for course, college and career planning in high school. Users can search colleges by careers and use the scatter grams to view past alumna results in use of their own journey.
- My College QuickStart is an online college and career planning tool available free of charge to all students who take the PSAT/NMSQT. It is powered by their responses to the test and provides personalized information that helps them take their next steps toward college.
- Big Future is an easy to use online college board tool to discover the ins and outs of the college journey. Make a plan. Learn about Colleges and Careers. Learn about financial aid and listen as students discuss all of the above and more.
- Math and Reading Specialists
- Psychology Assistant Services
- Educational assessment
- Diagnostic Assessment
- Organizational Skills, Homework Strategies
- Academic Intervention
The senior program helps to guide students through the college application process and aims to provide students with skills necessary for a successful transition into college.
Please Click here for a list of College Choices.
Counseling Services Department
Director: Mrs. Katie Koci
Miss Jessica Roth ’04
Mrs. Kelly Simari
Mrs. Jennifer McQuate
Ms. Megan Sturgeon
Academic and Psychological Services Department
Ms. Heidi Smith
Mrs. Mary Ann O'Brien
Mrs. Mary Tookman
Mrs. Karen Gill